As part of our ongoing commitment to providing the best in patient care we provide vital stimulation therapy as an adjunct to Clarion Rehabilitation’s dysphagia therapy program. Vital Stimulation is an FDA cleared neuromuscular electrical stimulation therapy for the treatment of dysphagia.
Dysphagia – difficulty swallowing affects an estimated 1 million Americans every year. In its most severe state, dysphagia can leave a person completely unable to swallow and dependent on a feeding tube.
Dysphagia is sometimes hard to detect in mild to moderate cases: the following can be symptoms of dysphagia:
- Coughing/clearing the throat after swallowing
- Abnormal volitional cough
- Decreased vocal quality
- Recurring chest infections
- Multiple swallows or special maneuvers required to clear throatDifficulty completing a meal
- Felling of food being stuck in the throat
- Requiring a modified (soft food or pureed food) diet
- Difficulty starting a swallow
- Spilling food or liquid from the lips or drooling
If you or your loved one is having difficulty swallowing, please discuss withyour physician and request a referral for dysphagia treatment.
Hours of Operation
Clarion Office – Located Behind Walmart:
Monday – Thursday 7:30 am – 7:00 pm
Friday 7:30 am – 5:00 pm
Weekends – As Needed
Phone: (814) 226-1356
Fax at (814) 226-1240
New Bethlehem Office – Located in Semeyn Family Practice Building:
Phone: (814) 275-9936
Fax at (814) 275-9945